Clindamycin is an antibiotic that can be used to treat several bacterial infections including pelvic inflammatory disease, pneumonia, bone or joint infections, strep throat, and middle ear infections. This medicine can also be used in the treatment of acne. It is also used to treat malaria in combination with quinine. This medicine can be taken via the mouth or by injection into a vein. It is also available as a cream that can be applied to the skin or in the vagina.
This medicine was first made in the year 1966 from lincomycin. It is listed as an essential medicine of the World Health Organization and is available as a generic medication. This medicine was the 130th most commonly prescribed medication with more than 5 million prescriptions in the United Nations.
Clindamycin is used in the treatment of several bacterial infections. The main work of this medicine is to prevent the growth of bacteria in the body. It is only to treat bacterial infections and will not work for viral infections such as flu, common flu. This medicine should be store at room temperature that is protected from heat and moisture.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food and normally 4 times daily every 6 hours as instructed by your doctor. After taking this medicine, you should not lie down for at least 10 minutes. Do not stop taking this medicine immediately as it may result in a return of an infection that may be harmful to your health. If your condition is not improved after using this medicine for a long period then immediately contact to your doctor. If you are suffering from a liver problem, asthma, or any heart disease then discuss with your doctor before taking this medicine for any treatment. You must read and follow all the directions on your prescriptions before using this medicine. This medicine is also taken by injection into a vein or in a muscle as instructed by your doctor. If you use liquid form medicine then should carefully measure the dose with the help of a special measuring or device. You should not use a household or kitchen spoon to measure the dose.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine may depend on your medical conditions, age, and response to therapy. You should take the correct dose of this medicine as prescribed by your doctor that helps in recovering soon from severe diseases.
– If you miss the dose on any day then take this medicine as soon as possible to make up the dose on that day. But you should not take a double dose of this medicine as it may be harmful to you.
– An overdose of this medicine may be dangerous for your health as it may cause severe side effects. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine by fault then contact to your doctor immediately to prevent unwanted side effects.
There are several side effects of this medicine are given below –
- Dark urine
- Vagina yeast infection
- Joint pain
- Problem in breathing
- Severe dizziness
There are several important precautions before or after taking Clindamycin are discussed below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you have an allergic problem with this medicine as it may be harmful for your health.
- If you are suffering from diarrhea then do not take this medicine and consult with your doctor due to this medicine also causes diarrhea.
- Before taking this medicine if you have any kidney or liver problems, intestinal disorder, asthma, or any allergic problem then consult with your doctor about this medicine.
- Do not give this medicine to your child without consultation with your doctor.
During medication, if you have become pregnant then consult with your doctor before using this medicine as it may harmful for your unborn baby.