Chlorpromazine is an antipsychotic medicine that can be used in the treatment of psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia. It can also be used to treat severe behavioral problems in children, and bipolar disorders.
In the year 1950, this medicine was developed and was the first antipsychotic. It can be taken by injection into a vein or a muscle or via the mouth. This medicine is listed as an essential medicine on the World Health Organization and is available as a generic medication.
Chlorpromazine is used in the treatment of several mood disorders such as the manic phase of bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, severe behavioral problems in children, and psychotic disorders. It is beneficial in feeling less nervous, think more clearly, and take part in daily life. This medicine can lower aggressive behavior and the desire to hurt others and may also help in reducing hallucinations. This medicine is psychiatric medication and belongs to the class of drugs known as phenothiazine antipsychotics and works by helping in restoring the balance of certain natural substances in the brain. It is also used in controlling vomiting or nausea, treat symptoms of tetanus, relieve restlessness or anxiety before surgery, and relieves prolonged hiccups.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth or injected it into a muscle or vein as instructed by your doctor. After taking this injection, you can lie down for a short time and may reduce your blood pressure. Before taking this medicine, you must read and follow all guidelines on your prescription label. You should not stop suddenly taking this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as you may suffer some symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, shakiness, stomach upset, and vomiting. You can gradually reduce the dose of this medicine as directed by your doctor to lower the symptoms due to suddenly the medicine stopped.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on age, past or present health conditions, and response to treatment. But in children, the dose of this medicine is based on weight. This medication should be started with a low dose that lowers the risks of side effects and gradually increases the dose of this medicine as instructed by your doctor. Do not change or increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor.
– If you miss the dose then take this medicine as soon as possible when you remember. But do not take a double dose to make up the dose as it may harmful to your health.
– The overdose of this medicine may cause severe symptoms such as loss of consciousness, irregular heartbeat, agitation, seizures, and severe drowsiness. If you take an overdose of this medicine then instantly consult with your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after using Chlorpromazine are given below –
- Blurred vision
- Increase in weight
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Muscle spasms
- High fever
- Irregular heartbeat
- Sore throat
If you are suffering from any side effects for a long period after taking this medicine then immediately talk to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before using this medicine are given below –
- If you are allergic to this medicine then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine for any treatment.
- Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly due to it may cause withdrawal symptoms so ask your doctor how to safely stop taking this drug.
- You should avoid physical activities and not drive any vehicle after taking this medicine as it may cause tiredness or sleepiness, which enhances the risk of an accident.
- When you are pregnant then talk to your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
- Before using this medicine, you can discuss your past or present health conditions or medical history with your doctor.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child because it may pass into breast milk and injurious to the nursing infant.
You should not take a large amount of alcohol during medication as it may cause several side effects that are harmful to your health.