This medicine is a form of vitamin D that helps in absorbing calcium in the body. Most of the vitamin D is received from the sun and some other food or dairy products. Vitamin D helps in controlling parathyroid hormone and the levels of some minerals, which are essential for strong bones.
It is used in the treatment of metabolic bone disease and hyperparathyroidism in people that have chronic kidney failure and are not receiving dialysis. Calcitriol is also used in the treatment of calcium deficiency in people with hypoparathyroidism that is caused by disease, surgery, or many more conditions.
How to take –
This medicine should be taken by mouth with or without food for any treatment. You should take only one tablet of calcitriol daily as per consultation with your doctor. If you are using the liquid form of this medicine then measure the dose by using a special measuring spoon or device. You should not use a normal household spoon that may not get the right dose of this medicine.
There are some of the side effects of this medicine which are as given below –
- Dry mouth
- Sensitivity to light
- Pain in eye
- Joint or muscle pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Increased thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Kidney problems
- Abdominal or stomach pain
Calcitriol may cause other severe side effects are as given below –
- Allergic reaction
- Swelling in throat, face, or tongue
- Problem in breathing
- Severe dizziness
If you are suffering from any side effects by using this medicine then immediately contact to your doctor to prevent the problem.
The dose of this medicine depends on the health conditions and response to therapy. You use this medicine with a low dose to avoid any side effects. But if the low dose of this medicine is not beneficial in the treatment, then enhance the dose as per directions from your doctor. Before taking this medicine, you should follow the guidelines from your doctor.
You should follow the diet recommended by your doctor that gets the most benefit and prevent serious side effects, which are caused by the medicine. Do not take other supplements or vitamins without consultation with your doctor.
– If you miss the dose then should this medicine as soon as possible. Do not take a double dose of this medicine if skipped the dose as it may cause side effects, which is harmful to your health.
– Some of the symptoms of overdose of this medicine including dry mouth, nausea, stomach pain, muscle or bone pain, weakness, headache, and many more. If you take the overdose of this medicine and feel some side effects then contact to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects of using this medicine are as given below –
- Do not take vitamin or mineral supplements without consultation with your doctor.
- During medication do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may harmful to your health.
- You should avoid drive any vehicle or avoid any other physical activities after taking this medicine.
- Do not change or increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor as it may cause side effects.
During treatment, do not take the overdose of this medicine as it may cause severe side effects that are dangerous to your health.