Benzonatate is a non-narcotic medicine that can be used in relieving cough and is sold under the brand name, Tessalon. In the year 1958, this medicine was approved for medical use in the United States. Benzonatate is store at room temperature that is protected from heat, light, and moisture.
Benzonatate is used in the treatment of cough that is caused by the common cold and other breathing problems including bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia, and emphysema. The main work of this medicine is to lowering the reflex in the lungs, which causes cough. This medicine is not recommended for those people who are younger than 10 years old. It also lowers the volume and consistency of sputum production that is linked to coughing in those people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD).
How to take –
This medicine should be taken as a whole without crushing, sucking chewing and breaking with a full glass of water. Chewing or sucking this medicine can cause several severe side effects which are not good for your health. You should take this medicine by mouth with or without food and normally 3 times regularly as per consultation with your doctor. You must read all the instructions on your prescription label before taking this medicine.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine depending on the health conditions and response to treatment. You should not take more than 200 milligrams at the same time. If you take more medicine than prescribed then it may increase the risk of severe side effects. You must take the correct dose of this medicine as per directed by your doctor. If your condition worsens after taking this medicine then immediately contact your doctor.
– if you miss the dose of this medicine at any time then should take this medicine as soon as possible and use your next dose in time. You should not take the double dose of this medicine if you skip the dose as it may cause side effects.
– The overdose of this medicine causes severe side effects, which are harmful to your health. If you take the overdose of this medicine at any time then immediately contact your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine for treatment are as given below –
- Burning in eyes
- Stomach upset
- Skin rash
- Irregular heartbeat
- Stuffy nose
If you are suffering from any side effects for a long period then contact to your doctor immediately to prevent this problem.
There are some of the precautions before taking Benzonatate are as given below –
- Do not chew, crush or break the medicine as it may cause side effects, which is dangerous for your health.
- If you are allergic to this medicine then do not take this drug.
- You should not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities after taking this drug due to it may causes dizziness or sleepiness.
- Consult your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant as it may harm an unborn baby.
- Do not take the overdose of this medicine as it may cause several severe side effects and is harmful to your health.
- During medication do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may cause side effects.
- After taking this medicine if you feel any severe side effects for a long time then contact your doctor.
- This medicine is not suggested for a child without medical advice as an overdose of this drug may fatal to a child.
- You should take this medicine with food if you feel stomach upset after taking this medicine without food.
- Do not enhance or change the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor as it may cause side effects.
If you are suffering from any serious disease including heart problems, cancer, kidney, or liver problems then contact your doctor before taking this medicine.