Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant that can be used in the treatment of major depressive disorder and is sold under the brand name Elavil. This medicine is used to treat a variety of pain syndromes that is caused by fibromyalgia, neuropathic pain, tension headaches, and migraine. Scientists at Merck have discovered this medicine and approved it by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the year 1961. This medicine is listed as an essential medicine by the World Health Organization (WHO). Amitriptyline was the 79th most common medicine with more than 10 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018 and is available as a generic medication.
Amitriptyline is used in the treatment of depression and may help in improving mood, relieving anxiety or tension, feelings of well-being, increase the energy level, and better sleep. This medicine belongs to a group of medications known as tricyclic antidepressants. The main work of this medicine is to affect the balance of certain natural chemicals (neurotransmitters such as serotonin) in the brain.
How to take –
You must read and follow all the instructions on your prescription label before taking this medicine. Take this medicine via the mouth and usually 1 to 4 times regularly as instructed by your doctor. But if you use only one medicine then take a tablet before bedtime as its lower daytime sleepiness. You should take this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it. Do not enhance the dose of this medicine without discussion with your doctor. You should not suddenly stop taking this medicine without consultation with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on your age, past or present medical conditions, and response to therapy. This medicine starts with a low dose to reduce the risk of side effects and gradually increase the dose as directed by your doctor. In other words, you should try to take the correct dose of this medicine as per consultation with your doctor.
– If you miss the dose at any time then take this medicine as soon as possible when you remember. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may harmful to your health.
– The overdose of this medicine causes several symptoms such as irregular heartbeat, problem in breathing, hallucinations, and dizziness. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine and feel some side effects then immediately consult with your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after using this medicine are as given below –
- Blurred vision
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
- Muscle spasms
- Eye pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Problem in breathing
- Severe dizziness
There are some of the precautions before using Amitriptyline medicine are given below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you are an allergic problem with this tablet as it may not good for your health.
- If you are suffering from any severe disease such as liver or kidney problem, difficulty in breathing, and many more then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Do not drive any vehicle and also avoid physical activities after taking this medicine as it can cause sleepiness or dizziness that may possibility of an accident or an injury.
- You can consult with your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant as it may harmful to your unborn baby.
- During medication do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may cause side effects, which is not good for your health.
- If you have recently had a heart attack then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- If you have used an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days then do not take this medicine.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child as it may pass into breast milk and harmful effects on your baby
- You should not enhance the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor as it may not good for your health.